The CABEE project is an Alpine Space project that greatly contributes to the development of the CESBA initiative and the CESBA Wiki. This article provides basic information on the CABEE project. For more information, you can read the article on CABEE (detailled).
- 1 Full project title and funding programme
- 2 Subject
- 3 Schedule and project consortium
- 4 Description
- 5 Problems to be addressed
- 6 Objectives
- 7 Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- 8 Main results
- 9 Outputs developed in the project
- 10 Project strengths
- 11 Contact and homepage
- 12 References
Full project title and funding programme
Full title of project: CABEE stands for Capitalizing Alpine Building Evaluation Experiences
Funding programme: Alpine space programme
SME support and network; sustainable building
Schedule and project consortium
01.07.2012 – 30.06.2015
CABEE aims at creating and implementing a common guideline for planning, procurement, production, assessment and promotion as well as to learn about new and refurbished Nearly-Zero-Emission-Buildings (nZEBs) and their neighbourhoods. CABEE capitalizes wisdom from finished and on-going EU-projects in and outside the Alpine Space. It focuses on a mass oriented approach with low entry barriers and an on-going Open-Source support, the CESBA Wiki. Pilot activities are settled on public tendering, user behaviour and an eco-assessment approach toward 100%. The integration of micro smart energy grids will be explored and furthermore, markets for nZEBs will be prepared, especially in cooperation with public authorities and SMEs. Established "Regional Operation Committees” supported by a transnational sustainable network of experts will make that possible.
Problems to be addressed
The Alpine area is characterized by buildings which need plenty of energy, have special architecture for shelter and consist from little transferable local material and excel from little know-how in the building sector. The building culture differs in the mountainous valleys and regions. New quality standards for buildings are developing, but the lack of production processes and know-how among key actors like SMEs, experts, politicians, administrations lead to single solutions. There is a lack of experiences in the usage of nearly zero emission buildings, of specific innovation in the traditional sector and of transnational teamwork among key actors. An Alpine-wide answer to EU demands is needed and can be achieved by a common Alpine-wide guideline - which is CESBA - for promotion and production of nZEB buildings and neighbourhoods through Public Private Partnerships; there is a risk of dominant stakeholders in the assessment business with little Alpine, local and regional sensitivities and a lack of broad acceptance of existing assessment and promotion systems. On the national and regional level, answers for a mass oriented building assessment are already in preparation or in use. The involvement of the neighbourhood and smart energy grids is necessary to fulfil EU-building goals. There are no common solutions yet and an on-going Knowledge-Hub has been missing until the launch of the CESBA Wiki CABEE focuses on type 3 policy implementation in the policy cycle. It will improve and develop existing policies in the fields of building assessment and public procurement. CABEE harmonizes existing tools and policies while formulating a common transnational Alpine-wide Guideline - CESBA - for buildings and a Knowledge-Hub, which will exceed the project life time, the CESBA Wiki. It will support future policy development in the building sector. Therefore, the strong involvement of public authorities and SMEs via Regional Operation Committees (ROCs) and of the observers are crucial for the long-term success of the project.
- To create a mass-scale innovation impulse on the environmental for innovation and cooperation capacities with respect to Nearly-Zero-Emission Buildings (nZEB) and Neighbourhoods in the Alpine area.
- To create a common Alpine-wide Guideline on buildings for definition, procurement, production, assessment and promotion of nZEB and their neighbourhoods )CESBA).
- On transnational level: to execute 1 common innovation workshop and 1 common public innovation conference with excursion program focused on experiences, research results and feasibility studies for experts, politicians, SMEs including traditional sectors. 42 workshops on regional level are planned.
- On regional level: to improve good governance, to reduce costs and to simplify the access to the content defined in the Alpine-wide CESBA Guideline and stored in the Knowledge-Hub and to the public through an ITC based Open-Source support (CESBA Wiki).
- On regional level: to prepare strategic market for interest groups (chambers) for SMEs in the building sector (production processes) by pilot initiatives.
- On local level: to increase of know-how and expertise of politicians, SMEs and experts in the working processes in the building sector and their neighbourhoods through pilot actions, knowledge exchange and joint development activities.
- To capitalize the non-profit structure of the transnational NENA-Network in the field of Nearly-Zero-Emission-Buildings for harmonized services (Open-Source platform, sponsorship for the Alpine-wide Guideline) for SMEs and public authorities governed by regional organizations (bottom-up approach) beyond the duration of the project.
Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- Development of an Alpine-wide Guideline on nZEBs.
- Strengthen the model function of public buildings.
- Establishment of the CESBA Wiki as an internet-based open-source support via a knowledge hub.
- Testing public tendering.
- Solutions to change user behaviour in buildings.
- Towards assessing the sustainability performance of 100% of public buildings.
- Analyses of actual building sites in terms of their sustainability performance.
- Integration of buildings in synergy grids.
- Integration of neighbourhoods in smart energy grids.
- Preparation of the capability of SMEs.
- Establishing NENA-network as an on-going service for SMEs.
- Capability of enterprises towards a low carbon economy.
- Open-Source Knowledge-Hub on sustainable building assessment CESBA Wiki.
- Analysis of public tendering.
- Analysis and enhancement of user behaviour in buildings.
- Building cluster sustainability assessment and improvement.
Outputs developed in the project
- Front runner projects CABEE
- Definition of NZEB
- Public tendering transnational report CABEE
- Report about applied solutions for changing user behaviour in nZEBs CABEE
- Report about the assessment of building performances of Alpine Space regions CABEE
- Synergy grids: Introduction in the analyses of actual building sites
- Summary of feasibility sutdies to integrate neighbourhoods in smart grids
- Workshops for public authorities and SMEs
- Bottom-up and mass scale approach.
- Expertise of all project partners.
- Creation of platform CESBA Wiki that will exceed the project duration.
- Preparing and involving SMEs, experts, politicians to the thematic field of nZEB
Contact and homepage
Regionalentwicklung Vorarlberg eGen