- 1 Full project title and funding programme
- 2 Subject
- 3 Schedule and project consortium
- 4 Description
- 5 Problems to be addressed
- 6 Objectives
- 7 Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- 8 Main results
- 9 Outputs developed by the project
- 10 Project strengths and weaknesses
- 11 Contact and homepage
- 12 References
Full project title and funding programme
Full title of project: ENergy Efficiency and Renewable energies inthe BUILDing Sector.
Funding programme: Alpine Space Programme
Eco-innovation and green learning
Schedule and project consortium
01.07.2009 – 30.06.2012
ENERBUILD focused on strengthening SMEs in the building sector because of their great importance as employers in the Aalpine Alpine Space valleys. New developments and changes concerning building the technique of ESAP (Energy saving and producing) buildings require cross-sectorial networks and collaborations of SMEs. Because of the increasing complexity in this field, there is the need for customers, especially public builders, to have a better basis for decision-making.
The key topics of the project were:
- Providing latest technical know-how for craftsmen and architects.
- Developing tools for public builders, which act as decision guidance.
- Providing customers with innovative financing tools concerning the energy production of buildings
All in all, the craftsmen were supported in this period of change and the demand for ecological building was raised. To reach these objectives, the PPs from transnational expert groups and their results were implemented in pilot actions .
Problems to be addressed
Due to the harsh climate in the Alps, traditional buildings in this region face a particularly high demand for energy. Steadily rising energy prices have a strong impact on the cost of living in the Alps and lead to a major outflow of financial resources. Furthermore, climate change has made energy efficiency and the use of renewable energies an urgent imperative for the European Union. A considerable number of SMEs and research and training institutions in the Alps have developed specialized know-how and experience with buildings that are energy self-sufficient. These SMEs and institutions now represent the basis for further growth, job creation and promising innovations. Nevertheless, several critical barriers exist to fully exploit the endogenous potentials of this economic sector. The most important are:
- Small structured economy in the building sector with high demand for more SME cooperation;
- Insufficient knowledge exchange between regions, experts, R&TD centres and SMEs;
- Lack of adequate structures for SME innovation efforts and cluster generation;
- Lack of public awareness and trust in the quality and performance of energy efficient and energy producing buildings;
- Lack of sufficiently trained and skilled human resources;
- Missing comparability of quality labels and insufficient quality controls for energy efficient buildings;
- Missing Alpine wide tested and accepted evaluation tools and methods for energy efficient buildings;
- Inadequate investment conditions for energy producing buildings
By working to ease these barriers, ENERBUILD was supposed to contribute to position the Alpine space as an area of excellence for energy self-sufficient buildings. The added value of the project consisted in increasing the competitiveness and attractiveness of the Alps as an area to live and work and as a destination for leisure through public and private buildings that are energy self-sufficient and which offer high standards of living quality.
The main objective was to foster appropriate environments and SME innovation and cooperation capacities with respect to energy saving and producing buildings in the Alpine Space area.
More detailled, the objectives were:
- To strengthen the small structured economy in the alpine Alpine building sector through SME cooperation and cluster generation;
- To improve SME innovation capacity through transfer of environmentally friendly technologies and cooperation between R&TD centres and SMEs;
- To foster appropriate environments for SME development through increased public interest in energy saving and producing buildings by means of information material, public events and pilot initiatives;
- To strengthen the quality and performance of energy efficient buildings through better comparability of quality labels and improved evaluation tools/methods and quality controls;
- To facilitate know-how transfer and training of human resources through specialized courses, vocational trainings, teaching materials and excursions;
- To improve general conditions for investment in energy producing buildings through studies on the solar energy potential of buildings and the promotion of solar roof stock exchanges, eco-power stock exchange and other innovative models;
- To strengthen value-added chains for energy efficient buildings based on the principle of nearness through the promotion of SME networks.
Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- Education modules handcrafts and high technical school levels.
- Education modules for academics, graduated education.
- Compare existing labels, Collection studies, experiences, literature.
- Healthy dwelling and customer information.
- Research concerning killer arguments in different climates zones.
- Examination of performance of existing building, impulses to innovation and training.
- Transnational comparison of instruments according to ecological evaluation of public buildings.
- Improvement and promotion of instruments for the construction of ecological end energy efficient buildings.
- Pilot testing of instruments and methods, e.g. evaluation of selected (public) buildings.
- Establishment of an Advisory Service for certifying ecological public building.
- Assessing regional needs and potentials for transnational cooperation for ESAP buildings.
- Analysis of the energy producing potential of buildings (e.g. scanning of rooftops, mini scaled heating solutions).
- Develop and establish monitoring systems to stabilise the efficiency of small energy production plants.
- Developing financing instruments for energy producing components on buildings, e.g. sun loan.
- Creation of an online directory of SMEs, institutions and other important players in the field of energy.
- Stimulating innovation by environmentally friendly technology transfer through innovation workshops, installation of regional innovation labs, etc.
- Pilot initiatives, pilot engineering for innovative solutions for ESAP buildings.
- Specific training modules and programs on ecological building assessment for different target groups.
- Rising public awareness on the meaning of ecological building assessment.
- Strengthen quality labels on ecological building assessment and improve evaluation instruments and quality controls.
- Promotion of roof stock exchange and financial instruments.
- Increase of SME innovation and cooperation capacity in the construction sector.
Outputs developed by the project
- ENERBUILD tool
- WebGIS Map - EURAC ENERBUILD - WebGIS showing the surfaces potentially available for installing solar modules on buildings ENERBUILD
- Killer arguments and opportunities - passive houses ENERBUILD
- Summarizing survey on existing buildings on healthy living with new and advanced construction technology ENERBUILD
- User habits, impact on energy consumption in passive houses ENERBUILD
- Synthesis on producing energy on buildings in the Alpine Space ENERBUILD
- Transnational comparison of instruments according to ecological evaluation of public buildings ENERBUILD
- Eco Power Stock Exchange ENERBUILD - In depth information for monitoring offices
- The Alpine World of Innovation ENERBUILD. A collection of innovative examples in planning processes, pilot initatives and stimulation of innovation
- Certification of energy-efficient public buildings - Summary of instruments in the Alpine Space
- Green Electricty? - Yes, please!
- Overview of education programs and vocational trainings for saving and producing buildings in the Alpine Space
See also: ENERBUILD: publications
Usage of outputs
Most deliverables of the ENERBUILD project are still in use. The Municipal Building Pass of Vorarlberg has its origin in the ENERBUILD project and is well applied today. The province of Alessandria also adopted the ENERBUILD tool. The platform baubook is also well-used. And people benefit from the financial instruments for energy-efficient investments called Eco-Power Stock Exchange and the Green Electricity-PLUS which were also developed in the ENERBUILD project. The ENERBUILD project shows that sustainable tools can be developed and have long-lasting effects on society.
Project strengths and weaknesses
Multipurpose effects on environment, economy and equal opportunities of sustainable development.
Many different actions and outputs on a wide range of thematic areas.
Contact and homepage
Phone: +43 5579 7171