Category: Quality of location and equipment
The aim is to encourage the usage of bicycles and pedelecs (Pedal Electric Cycle) for short and medium distances in order to reduce energy demand and CO2-emissions as well as reducing environmental and health burdens that are caused by the associated emissions and noise.
In order to promote the regular usage of bicycles in everyday traffic, attractive parking for bicycles is essential. Attractive, meaning a high proximity to the entry of the building that is reachable while cycling, sheltered and theft-proof. Overall, the user should have barer free and easy access to their bikes.
Explanation (technical demaraction of the criteria)
This criterion is fulfilled if an adequate number of user-friendly parking spots of reasonable quality are available.
Quality of the bicycle parking
- Sheltered parking spots for user that stay longer (> 30 minutes)
- Possibility to safely storage the bike through a lockable room or a bicycle stand that allows attaching the bicycle with a lock.
- The location of the bicycle slot must be reachable while cycling, adequately illuminated and close (<30 meter) to the main entry of the building.
- Bicycle slots in subterranean garages should also be reachable while cycling. These slots should have close proximity to the outdoor space (not more than one door as a separator) and direct access to the main building.
- Bicycle slots for visitors/short time parking should be on the ground floor and have at least 50% roofing.
Size of slot, spacing and manoeuvring area
The following spacing needs to be provided:
- Distance between bikes under normal usage): minimum 80 cm.
- Distance between bikes with height offset: minimum 40-45 cm.
- Distance between bike and wall: minimum 35 cm
- Lengths of bike-slot: minimum 2 m (if parked vertically), minimum 3.2 m with front wheel overlap
- Manoeuvring area to back out of a parking space: minimum 1.8 m (depth)
Number of bicycle parktin slots
The Pointing scheme is related to the number of slots that are in accordance with the above mentioned quality standard. The required number of slots is depending upon the building type.
An additional differentiation is made in dependency of the topological qualification of the location with respect to daily bicycle traffic.
Category A: Appropriate suitability for municipal and supra-municipal everyday bicycle traffic
Category B: Appropriate suitability for municipal everyday bicycle traffic (reduction of requirement by 40%)
Category C: Limited suitability for municipal everyday bicycle traffic (reduction of requirement by 80%)
|Number of bicycle slots||Points|
|Minimum requirements attained||15|
|Optimal requirements attained||25|
- If the minimum requirements are fulfilled the minimum score of 15 points is achieved.
- If optimized conditions are fulfilled, the maximum score of 25 points is achieved
- scores inbetween will be linearly interpolated
Mimimum requirements: Seats for stuff: 0,2 per employee | seats for visitors: 0,1 per employee Optimized conditions: Seats for stuff: 0,4 per employee | seats for visitors: 0,2 per employee
Mimimum requirements: 0,1 per child + 0,5 per teacher Optimized conditions: 0,2 per child + 0,9 per teacher
Elementary schools (bycycle driver’s licence, beginning at 4th grade):
Minimum requirements: 0,1 per student + 0,2 per teacher Optimized conditions: 0,2 per student + 0,6 per teacher
Minimum requirements: 0,6 per student + 0,2 per teacher Optimized conditions: 0,9 per student + 0,6 per teacher
Retirement home/ nursing home
Minimum requirements: seats for stuff 0,2 per employee | seats for visitors: 0,05 per inhabitant Optimized conditions: seats for stuff: 0,4 per employee | seats for visitor: 0,1 per inhabitant
Event hall (mainly used locally)
Minimum requirements: 0,2 per employee + 0,1 per guest Optimized conditions: 0,4 per employee + 0,2 per guest
Event hall (used locally and regionally)
Minimum requirements: 0,2 per employee + 0,05 per guest Optimized conditions: 0,4 per employee + 0,15 per guest
Event hall (used nationally)
Minimum requirements: 0,2 per employee + 0,025 per guest Optimized conditions: 0,4 per employee + 0,05 per guest
Explanation about the building users
- Workplace / employees: in schools the number of teachers, cleaning staff and janitors
- Pupils/ teachers: people living in districts close enough to come with the bike (>300 m and <10 km respectively steep area)
- Visitors of the event hall: Number of guests at full building capacity
Evidence building owner/ contractor
The following evidence has to be given to achieve points:
- Plan including the location as well as the furniture and the number of parking sites
- Pictures of the realized parking sites: bypass road to the parking sites, position regarding the entrance of the building, pictures of bicycle parking or bicycle storage rooms