- 1 Full project title and funding programme
- 2 Subject
- 3 Schedule and project consortium
- 4 Description
- 5 Problems to be addressed
- 6 Objectives
- 7 Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- 8 Main results
- 9 Outputs developed in the project
- 10 Uncovered expected needs
- 11 Project strengths and weaknesses
- 12 Contact and homepage
- 13 References
Full project title and funding programme
Full title of project: Sustainable Power Systems for the Alpine Space
Funding programme: Alpine Space Programme
Transnational cooperation and sustainable energy supply
Schedule and project consortium
01.07.2008 – 31.12.2011
- Ltd. Allgäuer Überlandwerk GmbH (DE) (Lead Partner)
- ALaRI - Advanced Learning and Research Institute at University of Lugano (CH)
- Allgäu Initiative GbR (DE)
- B.A.U.M. Consult GmbH (DE)
- Grenoble Institute of Technology (F)
- Rhônalpénergie-Environnement (F)
- Technical Foundation of the University of Milano - Department for Planning, Environment and Energy (IT)
- Province of Mantua (IT)
- Consortium BIM Piave Belluno (IT)
- Autonomous Region of Aosta Valley (IT)
- Business support centre Kranj (BSC) d.o.o. (SI)
- Elektro Gorenjska, distributor of electrical energy (SI)
AlpEnergy brought together power suppliers, development agencies, research institutes and public administrations to address the central issue of renewable energy supply.
Even if hydropower, solar and wind energy, wood and other biomasses are richly distributed throughout the area, they are unequally accessible because of many territorial discrepancies. The need to balance an increasing production and use of RES (renewable energy sources) requires a stronger and more extended electric grid capable of dealing with high levels of remote power generation. Virtual Power Systems (VPS) offer an alternative by using ICT technology for an intelligent combination of load management, storage and demand.
AlpEnergy focused on technical and economic aspects to introduce an efficient operational model that aims at a standardization of both technologies and procedures. The purpose is to provide new knowledge-based incomes and business opportunities to farmers, traditional and innovative enterprises.
Problems to be addressed
Strengthen the electric grid and integration of renewable energies in the electrical grid
- To form a network of excellence made of utilities, independent power suppliers (e.g. farmers), electricity consumers (e.g. diaries, brewery sectors), environmental and energy agencies, political decision makers, etc.
- To develop, pilot and implement technological, cooperative and business models for VPSs.
- To work on a 100% renewable energy supply system for municipalities.
- To research and test VPS hardware and software prototypes suitable for the entire Alpine Space.
- To disseminate the obtained results through international seminars, summer schools, symposia and media relations
Actions on low-carbon economy, energy efficiency and nZEBs
- Studying local production in relation to local consumption: study, on a specific territory, hydropower plant or thermal power plant impact. Collect informations and data and study a model to facilitate integration of these productions in the grids.
- Installing 100 smart boxes to customers (unrealized because such experience was still running by the Energy Syndicate of Saone et Loire)
- Feasibility study: Integration of a virtual system of energy production into the grid.
- ERDF study: Impact of massive integration of PV energy into the grid.
- Guidelines for practitioners.
- National procedures for political decision makers.
- Research reports.
- Market reports for SMEs.
Outputs developed in the project
- Sustainable Power Systems for the Alpine Space - Guidelines for Regional Decision Makers and Practitioners AlpEnergy
- Virtual Power Systems Study for Researchers AlpEnergy
- Sustainable Power Systems Case Studies AlpEnergy
Usage of outputs
The deliverables smart data collection and guideline on smart grids are no more used today.
Uncovered expected needs
The communities control on the network’s ability has not been reached. There was only virtual feasibility because the smart boxes could not be installed.
Project strengths and weaknesses
Degree of innovation of the project topic.
Lack of actors especially the grid manager
Contact and homepage
Tel.: +49 831 25 21 400